Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Why I Do This

I went on a mission trip to Preston County, West Virginia with the church I grew up in several times in high school and college. Those trips gave me many things: practical experience that I've used in my own house, friendships that continue to this day, and a needed perspective on life in a different segment of society than the one I grew up in. But the most valuable thing I got out of those trips was the confidence to lead, even when I didn't know exactly what needed to be done ahead of time.

This is my second time on this trip in three years, and many of the kids who were quiet first-timers two years ago are budding leaders. Others are in the same position I was in at their age -- being stretched to figure things out and keep a crew motivated and productive at the same time. As I listened to the kids in my car discuss going off to college on the ride home from Pizza Hut tonight, I realized how so many of the young people on this trip are rapidly becoming the kind of adults we need more of in this society.

-- James

1 comment:

Abuela Marty said...

I am proud to be associated with such a fine group of young people! And, James, it is because people like you take on those leadership roles that our young people have the opportunity to develop their own leadership skills.

Enjoy the last few days there in Dungannon and have a safe trip home.