Saturday, July 17, 2010

Yesterday Was Tough

After much preparation and many prayers of petition,  the 2010 DR mission team has spent a very fast week here in Santiago. As I write this, we have been in Santiago exactly a week. And now, we're preparing to say our good byes.

Friday is always my most difficult day. I start the day tensely, praying for a re-make of the loaves and fishes miracle while we pack up 200+ goodie bags to be given out at the end of the VBS session. We strategize how to dismiss the kids so that no one gets trampled and each child gets a bag.

After working with the week's theme of Noah, it will come as no surprise that Friday was the day God made a covenant after the rainbow appeared in the sky. Our rainbow was made of post-it notes!

The session began with a fierce tropical rain shower. Kids came in wet. We sang, we chatted about God's promise to never cause that kind of flood of destruction again and the responsibility we have to keep God's creation working in the way God would want us to keep it. We colored. We sang some more. And then... it was time for the bags!

I caught Milet's eye and we went upstairs to fetch the bags. Poly sang a calmer song than usual. The kids were told that we would dismiss them pew by pew. Finally, we opened the door and started sending them home.

Why do those kids love those little bags so much? Why will some of them actually accost each other in the street to take a bag that has pencils, stickers and some cookies? The week's activities are really about the relationship we share. They know my name because I've been here so often. They learn the names of new team members. They ask to have their pictures taken with us. They want to know where Fiona and Matt and Ann and Kati and Susan are. I have to comfort myself with the idea that the pencils are fine but the hugs we've given them will last as long in their lives as the hugs they've given me last in mine.

DR2010 Team w/ Constanza in the background
We also said goodbye to our construction crew. Chencho and his brothers Danilo and Mariano are also part of our Dominican family. Each time we pack up to head home, I know that I leave a part of my heart in this place and I carry them all home with me.

Today we took a field trip to Constanza, a beautiful drive into the mountains and a rich agricultural area of the country. Tomorrow we'll go to church at Cristo Salvador and then head to the north coast for a couple days on the beach. We'll be home before we know what hit us!

Watch for more photos. I wanted to make sure you all know we're thinking of you, that we're grateful for St. Anne's support of this trip, of this relationship. Pray for us tomorrow morning, as I know the people of Cristo Salvador will be praying for you.

Faithfully,
Martha

No comments: