Sunday, July 10, 2011

Checked Bags and Chex Mix




Martha writes:

On Friday afternoon I felt the need to make some Chex Mix. Harris Teeter had their fancy nut mix on sale and I bought a can to throw in. (FYI, if you’re making some of your own, Worcestershire Sauce does not contain gluten!) While the mix was in the oven I filled my suitcase, printed off information sheets for the group, took stuff out of my suitcase, stirred the Chex Mix, searched for my flashlight, decided to pay the $30 for an extra bag so I could carry some kids clothes to be left … you get the picture!

“Do you have plans for that Chex Mix?” asked my husband. “Yup, I’m going to try to carry it with me, otherwise, it’s yours,” said I.

We had the luxury of a late start on Saturday, meeting at Dulles about 9:30 a.m. for our 11:30 flight. When our group of 15 was together, we parceled out the clothes in my second bag, sent the bag home with Aleesha’s folks and then started the check-in process, and a very slow process it was! Finally, we were ready to clear security, grab a cup of coffee and step onto the plane.

DR Mission 2011 was on the way!!

After a lunch of medianoche sandwich, tostones and a great cup of coffee at the Cuban restaurant in the Miami Airport we flew to Santo Domingo where we arrived in a thunderstorm. Immigrations, Customs and then – Bob and Ellen Snow greeted us with the Iglesia Episcopal sign, helped load our bags on the bus, prayed with us and waved us on our way.

This is where the Chex Mix comes in! Claude filled individual baggies from the huge bag I’d lugged through Dulles, Miami and Santo Domingo. Hunger made it “the best Chex Mix ever!”

Midnight arrival at the Hotel Colonial in Santiago, smooth check in there, a little unpacking, a great night’s sleep, alarms set to be at 7:30 breakfast. St. Anne’s is once more On the Road!

No comments: