Wednesday, December 2, 2015

Day 4 - Nancy DeDona - Reflections

Reflections on Day 4 of the Holy Land Trip:

Today's Slideshow

My husband John and I jumped at the opportunity to go on this pilgrimage, not because we consider ourselves to be overly religious, but because we feel as Christians taking a pilgrimage is something we need to do in our lifetime.  I suppose it is something similar to how Muslims feel about going to Mecca.  I’m not sure what we expected, but felt it was something we had to do.  

And boy am I glad we came!  Our guide Iyad is so knowledgeable (the cover on his Bible is practically worn out) and he is deeply passionate about the treatment his people, the Palestinians, are receiving from the Israelis.  I am sure you will hear a lot more about that from Father Jim.  Forget about what you are hearing in our media, we are quite safe and have enjoyed exploring on our free time.  We are here with about 15 other parishioners from New York and California and the groups have blended very nicely.

I’ve been amazed by so many things-everyone’s journey is unique and yet each of them contribute to all of our journey’s.  Does that make sense?  Some of the observations of the group seem to hit me like a shock (not a bad shock, more of turning on a 500 watt light bulb and not expecting it) and I wonder if others feel that way too.  The nightly summations of the day where each of us can share what surprised us or “fed” us have been as meaningful as some of the incredible experiences we’ve had during the day.  

On the first day one of the parishioner’s from NY, said that he was struck by the human need for the tangible—proof if you will for everything we can’t see.  He then said it hit him that day that despite the need for the tangible, the reality was that “the resurrection is within me.”  What a wow moment!!  

We’ve seen where our Lord was allegedly crucified and buried, followed by a visit to Bethlehem  where most believe he was born.  And these locations are extremely moving and aroused surprising emotions.  Yet, I know that if I’d never seen these places, I’d still believe.  However, I never would have thought of it as the resurrection of our Lord living within me.  Without coming on this journey at this time and with this group, would I have made that discovery about myself?      


- Nancy DeDona

No comments: